[Wien] Magnetocrystalline anisotropy

Laurence Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Tue Jan 16 18:19:53 CET 2018

Dear Xavier,

The method you just used avoids time-reversal symmetry for -orb. My
intuition is that this is right, but I don't think I ever convinced
Peter of this. An alternative (that might be wrong) and avoids double
counting is:

Setup case.inso with NO spin-orbit on any atom, then do
runsp_lapw -eece -p -ec 0.00001 -NI -so

Then for larger EMAX and kmesh, edit case.inso and  witht SO do :

x lapw1 -up -c
x lapw1 -dn -c

And for the different magnetization directions we do:

x lapwso -c -up -orb
x lapw2 -so -up  -c
x lapw2 -so -dn  -c

---
Concerning the two question William asked:

1) -eece does not have vorbdu as nobody (to my knowledge) has worked
out what it should be. For certain I don't know!

2) I am not sure about this. Is the imaginary component neglected for
lapw1 -c? For a d-state (as you have) maybe from time-reversal vorb
has to be centro-symmetric so there should be no imaginary term. This
does not seem right for p or f states. Unfortunately it is more than a
year since I worried about this, so I cannot remember.

--
Professor Laurence Marks
"Research is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what