[Wien] regarding k-mesh and tolf

Xavier Rocquefelte xavier.rocquefelte at univ-rennes1.fr
Sat Jan 27 14:01:11 CET 2018

Dear Chin S.

Your system is metallic from the point of view of DFT which is not a
surprise.

In your last calculation, which is the more accurate you simply catch
this fact ... In other words in your previous calculations you had 0.1
eV gap due to less kpoints and/or less accurate calculations. To really
understand what is happening you should draw the DOS and bandstructure
to see if you have band crossing at the Fermi level which could lead to
occupancy of an expected empty band. If yes, it will have an impact on
the chemical bond description and also on the phonons.

Depending on the system you will have to consider methods going beyond
DFT, which in WIEN2k could be based on:

- DFT+U

- Onsite Hybrid functional

- Full hybrid

- TB-mBJ potential

If your band gap is based on charge transfer transitions you cannot used
DFT+U and onsite-hybrid.
Thus the less expensive approach will be TB-mBJ potential which will
give the band gap but not the forces.

Thus only one option remains which is full hybrid.

If your system is based on d-d transitions, or highly correlated states,
then you can used DFT+U or Onsite-hybrid.

Hope it will help you.

Cheers

Xavier