[Wien] Bug report (impi & AVX512 register nodes)

Laurence Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Tue Jul 31 22:00:46 CEST 2018

There appears to be a bug connected to impi versions from 2017 or later
when running mpi on AVX512 capable machines. In 0.01-0.1% of cases for an
ill-conditioned problem the eigenvectors end up with slightly wrong total
charge (0.001-0.2 electrons total for 30 k-points), which will appear as an
anomaly in :NEC01.

The mixer will handle this adequately, but it is still not "right".

N.B., it may be something OS or fabric related rather than specific to
impi; I know that it has "gone away" when I switched to an earlier impi
version. Compiler options, mkl, shared/static, scalapck version (mkl or
Netlib) had no effect, only regressing the impi version. I am 99.999%
certain this is not a Wien2k bug.

--
Professor Laurence Marks
else has thought", Albert Szent-Gyorgi