[Wien] SO in 3d and 4f elements

Xavier Rocquefelte xavier.rocquefelte at univ-rennes1.fr
Tue Mar 13 07:19:36 CET 2018

Dear Pablo

It really depends on the property you are considering:

1. In terms of chemical bond, the effect of SO on 3d and 4f elements
will be negligeable.

2. In terms of spectroscopy it can be significant if you have access to
d3/2 and d5/2 states, but also p1/2 and p3/2 ... and similar for f states

3. In terms of magnetic properties, it will be negligeable for the
magnetic exchange couplings but not for the anisotropy and thus the easy
magnetization direction.

Thus it really depends on the calculation you plan to do and the
property you are looking for.

Best Regards

Xavier