[Wien] (no subject)

Gavin Abo gsabo at crimson.ua.edu
Wed May 23 03:46:41 CEST 2018

Someone else may know differently, but as far as I know, WIEN2k has no
function for calculating MR (magnetoresistance).

I don't know the details of what your are trying to do exactly, but it
may be that WIEN2k's magnetic field doesn't do what you think it does.

Refer to the previous posts:

https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg16108.html

https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg11093.html

For example a VSM with Magneto Resistance option can only apply up to
3.5 T [ http://www.microsense.net/products-vsm.htm ].  Some of the best
electromagnets in the world cannot apply too much higher magnetic fields
than that.  In the above post, at least a 10 T magnetic field has to be
applied to even see an effect. However, I don't know how to properly
explain that.  My guess is that might be because WIEN2k's magnetic field
is an atomic local field instead of a micro/macro uniform field.

Do you maybe need a spin-polarized current in a spin-torque based
micromagnetic simulator like oommf [ https://math.nist.gov/oommf/http://layer.uci.agh.edu.pl/M.Frankowski/download.html ], LLG
Micromagnetic Simulator [
http://llgmicro.home.mindspring.com/DataRep/HysAndMRLoops/HysAndMrFrame.htm
], or VAMPIRE [ http://vampire.york.ac.uk/research/ ]?

Or are you trying to calculate magnetic anisotropy energy (MAE) [
https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg09408.html
]?

I never figured out how to do it, but tunneling current is a function of
density of states, fermi functions, and tunneling probability [
http://dx.doi.org/10.9756/BIJPSIC.3129 ].  So I thought there might be a
slight possibility to extract data from WIEN2k and post calculate that.

Hope that can help and good luck.