[Wien] Problem with LDA+U with Core Hole

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Nov 5 16:03:25 CET 2018

It depends on the case if you should add the electron in case.inm or
case.in2.
When the excitation in the experiment really goes mainly into states
just above EF, I'd put this electron into in2; if the electron goes
somewhere else, I'd use inm.
Eg:  NiO:  O-K edge goes into unoccupied O-2p states, but NiO has very
little O-2p character in the conduction band. So when you add the e in
case.in2, you will occupy mainly Ni-d, which is not what happens in
experiment. So put it into case.inm. On the other hand, for a Ni-L edge,
I'd put it into the case.in2 file.

In any case, the effect is usually small and supercell size might be
more important.