[Wien] wien2kon mac

Gavin Abo gsabo at crimson.ua.edu
Tue Nov 27 08:16:16 CET 2018

Yes, it has been done by others.

It needs to have been formatted with the case-sensitive filesystem [1,2].

I don't have a Mac, so cannot say how it is installed.  I also expect
there is more than one way to do so.

For example, it likely could be installed using a Linux VM but I
wouldn't recommend doing that [
https://www.engadget.com/2009/09/07/how-to-set-up-ubuntu-linux-on-a-mac-its-easy-and-free/
].

If you install WIEN2k directly with the gfortran compiler [5], the
install might not be that much different than on Linux [6].

If you install the macOS version of the Fortran (ifort) compiler [7],
that also might not be that much different than on Linux [8-10].

Though, personal laptops and desktop computers tend to be limited to
unit cells or small supercells (less than about 60 atoms) [11-13].  The
organizational high performance computing clusters (HPC) at
universities, computing centers, and commercial companies that WIEN2k
researchers are using are likely running with Linux operating systems
similar to the world's fastest 500 supercomputers (in November of 2017)
[14], where researchers are probably connecting to them with Mac or
Windows systems.  Or perhaps remotely logging in with an App such as on
an Android phone with something like JuiceSSH [15].

[1] http://susi.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/reg_user/limitations/
[2]
https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg07421.html
[3]