[Wien] HOMO-LUMO

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Oct 3 11:33:25 CEST 2018

You are probably correct, if I understand you correctly.

 From the scf-file you can see EF and also the "Band-ranges". These
numbers are in Ry and HOMO/LUMO as well as the gap (HOMO-LUMO) can be
obtained from them and is even printed explicitly under the label :GAP.
Note: This gap is only "correct", if the VBM/CBM are in your scf-k-mesh,
otherwise it is too large (shifted meshes may miss Gamma !)

For the band structure, this is the same when you choose Ry units in
case.insp.
However, when you set eV units, the fermi energy is set to zero and all
energies in the plot are with respect to this energy zero. Note also
here: The "gap" is only correct, when you catch the HOMO/LUMO in the
k-mesh of your bandstructure plot !!

And last but not least: Please remember, the absolute values of
HOMO-LUMO eigenvalues have NO meaning in a bandstructure code (since
they depend on an arbitrary E-zero). Only differences matter.