[Wien] character plot, crystallography related and min_lapw

Lawal Mohammed mohammedlawal08 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 11 09:40:07 CEST 2018

Dear Prof. Peter,
Thanks a lot. I got it now.
With kind regards
Lawal

    On Thursday, October 11, 2018, 3:28:30 PM GMT+8, Peter Blaha <pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:

 > Thank you very much for your suggestion. Yes, I have tried different
> size of heavier plotting but in vain. What I observed was, the program
> does not read/recognise my jtype input for my case, because on w2web
> only atom number and size are printed. However, I can plot the band
> structure without editing the band character options.

2 possibilities:
a) your case.insp file is wrong
b) you did not run the    x lapw2 -qtl step properly.

> I am sorry for going back, in my previous mail I used *-i 150*, but the
> scf circles terminate at 40 iterations. Why should it stops at 40 while
> it's suppose to reach 150, because of -i 150?

For min_lapw the -i 150 switch means  150 geometry steps.
In each geometry step a  "run_lapw -i 40" is issued by default (unless
you use -j ....) and apparently in your case the 40 scf cycles do not
give converged forces.

As was mentioned before: usually run_lapw -min  (using MSR1a) is much
more efficient then then the old min_lapw, but of course, if you have
enough time to wait, you can still use the old way.