[Wien] Help Request for making WIEN2K (ver18.2) programs executable.

Pavel Ondračka pavel.ondracka at email.cz
Mon Oct 22 09:34:56 CEST 2018

Just a small note:
Gavin's instructions will definitely work. However, the default blas
package is _very_ suboptimal!

Some example times for the diag part of the serial test_case:
MKL: 16s
OpenBLAS: 18s
default blas (from Netlib): 80s !
(with i7-5820K, which has AVX2, hence roughly 4x speedup due to SIMD)

BTW the OpenBLAS bundles the lapack as well (at least on Fedora), hence
what you need is to follow Gavin's instuction but install "sudo dnf
install openblas-devel" (instead of the lapack-devel package) and set
your R_LIBS to just "-lopenblas". The default openblas package is the
serial version, hence no -lpthread is needed (this is probably the
reasonable setup for beginners). If you want to make use of thread
level parallelism in BLAS you can install the "dnf install openblasp-
devel", which is a threading enabled version of OpenBLAS. You R_LIBS
should be then "-lopenblasp -lpthread". I recommend to use the k-point
parallelization (with .machines file) with serial OpenBLAS though.

For really optimal speed I also recommend adding "-ftree-vectorize" to
your compiler options and possibly also "-march=native" if you intend
to run you Wien2k compilation on the build computer only (or if you
cluster has the same or newer cpus as your build machine).

Best regards
Pavel