[Wien] Surface adsorption

Laurence Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Mon Sep 24 15:29:42 CEST 2018

N.B., if you want a specific example of how to do this properly, or at
least in my opinion properly, look at *DOI:* 10.1021/acs.jpcc.8b07128

On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 7:55 AM, Laurence Marks <L-marks at northwestern.edu>
wrote:

> You create a surface slab model with a chemically realistic surface, and a
> reasonable vacuum, then add an atom or molecule. Supercell can help, but do
> not assume it will produce a valid structure.
>
> There is no reliable automatic tool for this, you will need to do it by
> hand aided by a tool to look at the structure. The best computer to use is
> the one above your eyes.
>
> _____
> Professor Laurence Marks
> "Research is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what nobody
> else has thought", Albert Szent-Gyorgi
> www.numis.northwestern.edu
>
> On Mon, Sep 24, 2018, 7:50 AM Riyajul Islam <riyajul80 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> But how to make the structure file for this using Wien2k.
>>
>> On Mon, 24 Sep 2018, 6:15 pm Laurence Marks, <L-marks at northwestern.edu>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Technically you can use create_add_atom_clmsum_lapw.
>>>
>>> However, this may lead to a garbage calculation. You need to think
>>> carefully about the problem, look at prior literature for related systems
>>> and obey the basic rules of chemistry. If you do not do this you will end
>>> up with results which are self-consistent, but have zero relevance.
>>>
>>> I will confidently say that at least 50% of dft calculations of surfaces
>>> are garbage because the authors violate undergraduate chemistry and/or have
>>> nonsense structures.
>>>
>>> _____
>>> Professor Laurence Marks
>>> "Research is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what
>>> nobody else has thought", Albert Szent-Gyorgi
>>> www.numis.northwestern.edu

Professor Laurence Marks
else has thought", Albert Szent-Gyorgi
www.numis.northwestern.edu ; Corrosion in 4D: MURI4D.numis.northwestern.edu