[Wien] Magnetic moments converging in a different direction to the one they are defined

Penny, Charles charles.penny11 at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Apr 17 12:00:35 CEST 2019

Dear all,

Thanks for your prompt and helpful replies.

I have run runfsm initially before switching to runsp, but no luck. It immediately converges back to the ferrimagnetic solution.

This raises two further thoughts/questions in my mind.

1) I am assuming that runfsm is NOT an acceptable replacement for runsp with regards to projecting the total energy onto the Heisenberg model. In any case I obtain a large moment in the interstitial region which likely invalidates such a move.

2) I find it interesting that this process works without problem for Fe3O4, but seems presently rather futile with Fe3S4. Simply swapping O for S in the lattice (not quite, of course) appears to create such instability in alternative spin configurations. Is anyone aware of anything I could look into which might be able to explain this, or is it just a case of 'bad luck' for this material and move on if I can't get any improvement?

Re: Magnetite

An interesting material without a doubt. Luckily I'm not investigating the low temperature phase, otherwise I might have more of a headache!

Regards,

Charlie