[Wien] metal or semiconductor

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Aug 7 20:38:45 CEST 2019

GGA+U affects only the position of the correlated electrons (3d band or
4f, ..), but not of the delocalized states (eg. Ni-4s band in NiO)

Therefore you cannot get the correct gap in NiO with GGA+U, because the
Ni-4s states limit the size of the gap, even when you split the d-band
by an enormous U.

mBJ also affects the Ni-4s states and shift it up, so that the gap is
correct.

On the other hand, for 4f systems, mBJ can be too "weak" to open a gap.

Since we do not know your compound, we cannot say anything concrete,
but: yes, there is a possibility that GGA+U still gives a metal while
mBJ gives a semiconductor.