[Wien] Installation of wienk

Gavin Abo gsabo at crimson.ua.edu
Tue Aug 20 08:05:08 CEST 2019

What virtual machine (Virtual Box, VMware, etc. [1])? Seems to matter
according to [2,3].

Since a virtual machine tends to be an operating system running on top
of another operating system (OS), there will most likely be a
performance loss to your calculations [4].  Perhaps the calculation will
run slower [disk caching due to lack of random access memory (RAM), CPU
sharing between both OS) or structures that can be calculated could be
limited by the loss of free RAM (two OS using RAM instead of just one OS
+ RAM used by virtual machine software].

TiC case is fine for first learning mpi parallel but is known that it
can be slower than just doing a serial calculation for it as it is too
small a case (e.g., to few nonequivalent atomic positions) [5,6].

Your statement below "... calculations take longer than in series ..."
seems to confirm this.

"... one processor for the variable OMP_THREAD (instead of 20 cores)
..." <- Don't confuse a thread and a core, they should be different
[7,8,9].  For example, look at the specifications for an i7-8700K
processor [10] which shows that Intel processor has # of cores as 6 and
# of threads as 12.

Is OMP_THREAD a special variable particular to your system?  If not, you
might want to check your .bashrc (within the block created by
userconfig_lapw) and the WIEN2k 19.1 UG (section "5.5.3 How to use
WIEN2k as a parallel program" on page 86) [11] as a different
environmental variable might be needed.

username at computername:~$ grep THREAD ~/.bashrc
export OMP_NUM_THREADS=1

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_machine#Full_virtualization

[2]
https://superuser.com/questions/1035010/what-is-the-performance-difference-of-a-virtual-machine-vs-the-physical-host