[Wien] Fwd: Lapw2_1.def ERROR

Laurence Marks laurence.marks at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 14:36:55 CET 2019

Looking at your structure, you have four oxygens (O 17 to O21) which are
not really bonded to anything. For instance, the closest atoms to O17 are
K4 at 2.87 Angers and O4 at 2.84 Angers. The BVS [1] for these atoms are
too small, 0.2-0.4. I strongly suspect that these are really water
molecules where the H could not be refined (probably no neutron diffraction
was done).

I suggest that you go back to the original CIF, check the source paper and
use one of the many viewers to ensure that your starting structure is
appropriate. In general I expect only small (~0.05 Angers) changes in
positions between DFT refined and good XRD refinements.

I also suggest that you update to 19.1. For your small cluster the use of
openmp threading would be a significant improvement.

[1] You can see the BVS via " x nn ; grep Bond case.outputnn". They are a
standard sanity check, for instance as a validation of CIF files in some
cases.

--
Professor Laurence Marks
Northwestern University