[Wien] more on LAPW2 weight and Fermi

Laurence Marks laurence.marks at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 19:24:32 CET 2019

I don't think this is really right. With TEMP(S) the Fermi energy (Chemical
Potential) is defined as where the occupation is 0.5, which varies with
temperature provided that the gap is small enough. (Due to how it is
calculated, it is not really accurate for larger gaps.) However, in TETRA
it is defined as the highest occupied energy. If you are referencing to the
valence band edge then you should use TETRA and/or shift the TEMP(S) result
by hand.

N.B., I personally do not trust TEMP as it uses a "fudge" to correct the
energy to approximately what it would be at T=0. I always use TEMPS at room
temperature, which is where we do most experiments.

--
Professor Laurence Marks
Northwestern University