[Wien] Band gap calculation

Gavin Abo gsabo at crimson.ua.edu
Mon Dec 23 09:33:44 CET 2019

I don't recall seeing "test_conv-5.0.tar.gz" before.  I'm guessing that
is the newer version of the full convergence tests package at [1]
(unsupported at least by this group), which seems to not be accessible
to the public (and likely only accessible to and perhaps supported by
the private group [2]).

I'm guessing the algorithm that gets the gap value from the valence band
maximum (VBM) and conduction band minimum (CBM) is not accurate for your
calculation case.  Therefore, I would most likely go with the gap that
you get yourself from the raw data (case.spaghetti_ene [3] or [4]) of
the band structure plot from spaghetti.

If the differences are small like in [5], a percent difference [6] of
about 2% [= (1.54 eV - 1.51 eV)/{(1.54 eV + 1.51 eV)/2}*100%] seems
acceptable.  I believe greater than about 5% in when you should be
concerned [7].

[1]
http://wien2k-algerien1970.blogspot.com/2016/09/the-full-version-of-conversgence-tests.html
[2] https://www.facebook.com/groups/wien2k.Algeria/