[Wien] Band gap calculation

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Dec 23 11:40:39 CET 2019

I would think that band gap calculations are the most easy thing to do,
but I agree, it might be necessary to "think".
The problem could be that the default scf k-mesh, which could be shifted
in certain symmetries, may NEVER yield the correct band gap. If you are
interested in the gap, do NOT shift the k-mesh when running    x kgen
(maybe 90 % of the compounds have their gap at Gamma)

Instructions for band gaps:

Initialization
x kgen (use unshifted mesh, since in most cases the gap is at Gamma)
scf cycle.

Check in scf file if there is a gap (:GAP)

Plot a band structure in various directions. Check the gap and in
particular if the gap is at Gamma or at some other k-point; if it is
direct or indirect. (Eigenvalues are listed in case.output1 in Ry, so
you should be able to calculate the gap exactly once you know which
k-points to check).

Compare your value with :GAP in the scf file.

If it agrees, ok.

If not: is the gap at Gamma and you have used a "shifted" scf k-mesh ???
Such a mesh does not include Gamma, and all "convergence tests of
k-meshes" ??? will fail, since even with 100000 k-points, still the gap
at Gamma is NOT included in the scf.