[Wien] DOS unit

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Feb 5 19:03:53 CET 2019

The DOS is usually given in states/(eV unit-cell). Of course you can
calculate the size of your cell and convert the DOS into your units. (As
far as I know, all codes use the normalization per cell, never ever per
volume.

The total DOS is often decomposed into some components, and this
decomposition is slightly different in different codes/methods. Wien2k uses
a) a spatial decomposition (using the atomic spheres)
b) inside each sphere an lm-decomposition according to its basis set.
c) there is also some interstital DOS, which cannot be assigned to a
particular atom.
We call this partial DOS.

In particular plane wave codes "project" the total wave functions onto
some atomic orbitals. They use then projected DOS.

In any case, only the total DOS should in principle be identical between
different codes. Every decomposition is method dependent.

The "local DOS" is something different. Actually it is NOT a DOS, but an
electron density origination from states at a certain energy range
(usually eg. one or two eV above/below EF). It is used for scanning
tunneling microscopy simulations, where this "wrong" name was invented.