[Wien] Please note: MSR1a is a fixed-point code so might find a transition state

Laurence Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Wed Jan 23 15:47:02 CET 2019

Dear All,

I want to post a comment about MSR1a which is a possibility that I mention
in the README, but previously could not confirm. I have now verified it in
a couple of cases, so let me add it as general information.

The MSR1a is a fixed-point code, i.e. it finds a (local) fixed-point for
the density and pseudo-forces. From the variational principle the density
solution is a minimum, but a fixed-point for the pseudo-forces can be a
saddle point. Therefore if you start a calculation close to a saddle point
and pay attention to preserving symmetry, e.g. by not shifting the k-mesh,
MSR1a may find the saddle point.

I have to say "may", it is not guaranteed.

--
Professor Laurence Marks
else has thought", Albert Szent-Gyorgi