[Wien] Looking for mission impossible suggestions

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Jan 31 07:10:35 CET 2019

Unfortunately, "ab initio" RPA does not work for correlated electrons
(statement from G. Kresse).

It is clear that such a problem (an interface between a localized
(highly correlated) and an itinerant (delocalized) system is very
difficult to treat with all current methods. In any case, with NiO you
have even a "simple" system, because GGA gives at least an insulator
with a very small gap and an approximately correct charge density.
FeO/Fe would be even worse.

Your solution is a compromise using the same method for both systems,
another approach is to use eece only for the correlated atoms, but then
at the interface you bias your solution by choosing eece or plain gga
for them.