[Wien] 3p or 4p PDOS for 3d transition metal

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Jul 11 17:20:37 CEST 2019

Obviously, 3s,3p and 4s,4p states differ in their energy. The principal
QNs are not "labelled" explicitly.

Depending on which TM atom you have, the 3s,3p states may range at -2.0
(Sc) to -7 Ry (Cu). Eventually, their bandwidth can be very small and
usually we do not "plot" the corresponding DOS.

The 4s,4p states are in the valance region around EF. However, their
wave function are very delocalized, thus have very little contribution
inside the atomic sphere, One 4s electron may eventiually have only 0.1
electrons within the sphere, thus the corresponding PDOS will be very small.
For these reasons, I'd recommend to use the recent   xps package  (see
UG). If you provide all possible PDOS (of all atoms and all l values)
this package can renormalize the PDOS, such that the interstital DOS is
"removed" and distributed into the corresponding atomic PDOS.