[Wien] lapw2c tries to read an anomalous amount of data

Laurence Marks laurence.marks at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 10:13:25 CEST 2019

Aaaah, it sounds like you are swapping, either each core or the different
cores (assuming that you have shared memory). That is, since all four cores
cannot run at the same time due to the memory available, they are being
swapped to and from swap space (which is probably on disc).

Wien2k is not well optimized for this type of issue, and often memory can
be an issue. At one time one of my students was running a large problem on
a supercomputer with 32 cores/node but only 64Gb memory, and ended up only
being able to use 16-20 cores.

The mpi versions may work better for you as they somewhat (not perfectly)
split the code so can use less memory. Whether this is faster will depend
upon your hardware; I have always found mpi to be faster but I know that on
some of Peter's computers this is not true.

Or buy some more RAM!

--
Professor Laurence Marks
Northwestern University