[Wien] lapw2c tries to read an anomalous amount of data

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Jul 26 22:46:10 CEST 2019

Dear all,

This is a long thread by now, and it comes because of insufficient
information from the beginning. I guess we all were thinking of a huge
mpi-calculation ....

The tread should start like:

I'm running a case with XX atoms (matrix-size YYYYY), with/without
inversion symmetry; NN k-points.
It is running on a single PC (Intel XX with 24 GB RAM and 4 cores) and I
use WIEN2k_19.1 with ifort/mkl compilation.

I'm running 4 k-parallel jobs and lapw1 runs fine. However, in lapw2 .....

------------------------
Size: lapw2 reads the vector files k-point by k-point (one at the time),
so if you have more k-points than the size of the vector file has
nothing to do with the memory of lapw2.
This size will be NMAT*NUME only. There are other large arrays with
(NMAT,lm, NUME) (Alms,BLMs, CLMs,..).

However, lapw2 runs with a loop about atoms, so when you have more then
1 k-point, it needs to read these vector files NATOM times.
And with 4 k-parallel threads this is a lot of PARALLEL disk-I/O for a
poor SATA disk. I can imagine that this is the bottleneck.

Disk I/O can be reduced in at least 2 ways:

As Laurence Marks suggested, reduce E-top in case.in1 such that you have
only few unoccupied states included.

The second, even more efficient way was suggested by Pavel Ondracka: Use
OMP-parallelization, eg. export OMP_NUM_THREAD 2 and only 2 k-parallel
jobs. If this is still too much parallel I/O, you could also use 4
OpenMP parallel threads and no k-parallelization at all, but this will
be a little slower.

You may also try the mpi-parallel version, but definitely ONLY if you
have a recent ELPA installed. Otherwise it will be much slower. However,
the mpi-version of lapw1 needs more memory (but still less than 4
k-parallel lapw1) ...

Regards