[Wien] WIEN2k Version 19.1

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Jun 13 15:18:13 CEST 2019

Dear WIEN2k users,

It is a great pleasure to announce the release of WIEN2k_19.1.

Version 19.1 is a major update. Besides a couple of bug fixes there are
many new features, improvements and in particular a large speedup in
parallel calculations. The most important changes compared to
WIEN2k_18.2 are:

OpenMP parallelization: Special thanks to Pavel Ondracka!!

This parallelization is particular useful when running WIEN2k on modern
multicore PCs (4 to max 8 cores). The programs dstart, 3ddens, nlvdw,
lapw0/1/2/so/ have been parallelized and run highly efficient on a
typical 4-core Intel-cpu. By setting a variable OMP_NUM_THREADS=4 you
will automatically speedup your calculations by almost a factor 4.
----------------------------------

Massive speed-ups in lapw1 (serial and mpi), lapw2, nlvdw.
----------------------------------

DFT-1/2: An alternative method to calculate band gaps in solids.
However, usually TB-mBJ is still more accurate.
----------------------------------

pes (calculations of valence band photoemission) with re-normalized DOS,
where the interstital DOS is (approximately) decomposed and added to
various (delocalized) atomic PDOS.

As usual, this upgrade is free of charge for all registered users.

Let me take the opportunity to remind you on our WIEN2k workshop, where
we will certainly discuss the new parallelization strategies:

                 26. WIEN2k workshop
Satellite meeting to the 32nd European Crystallographic Meeting (ECM32).
Vienna, Austria, 13. - 17. August 2019

http://www.wien2k.at/events/ws2019/

Best regards