[Wien] Where am I making mistake in LDA+U MAE calculation

Ahmad Asali hajiahmadagha at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 00:20:29 CEST 2019

 Hello,

1. First of all, as Prof. Blaha says always use the lowest symmetry. This
means always run initso_lapw in ALL magnetic directions before any SCF.
2. obviously, any follow-up step should use the converged charges and
densities. so yes, use the files created before, if you are continuing the
calculation.
3. the values of (U, J) are given in RYDBERG in WIEN2k. most papers write
the values in eV. make sure you have the right values. for f-electrons of
Sm in Sm2Co17, the values for (U, J) should be roughly about (5.7, 0.7) eV.
turn this into RYDBERG and test them. change the value in 0.2 eV steps to
find best agreement. the +U calculation is not ab-initio (unless you
calculate (U,J) from Raccah parameters).
4. WIEN2k user guide suggests using U_eff = (U-J) and then J=0. my
experience suggests you use both U and J, which works better for
f-electrons.

5. it is my personal experience, that starting with non-spin polarized
calculation is better than starting with spin-polarized. formally, DFT only
guarantees an energy minimum if there is no spin-polarization. this means
that starting with runsp_lapw could find a local minimum but not the
absolute minimum. then the quantum numbers of angular momentum would be
wrong and the magnetic moments would be false. so I suggest you start with
the non-spin polarized calculation, then go to spin-polarized (SRC) and
then SOC.
a) init_lapw + initso_lapw + x lapwdm b) run_lapw -orb, c) runsp_lapw -orb,
d) runsp_lapw -so -orb.

6. you can also test the following: include -orb only after the convergence
of SOC. that means
a) run_lapw, b) runsp_lapw, c) runsp_lapw -so, d) x lapwdm, e) runsp_lapw
-so -orb