[Wien] core-hole calculation in a molecule

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Jun 19 16:25:00 CEST 2019

This is certainly interesting.

For a molecule an alternative is to remove one electron and then use
E-tot(N) - E_tot(N-1) as binding energy. However, in this case due to
the charged cells, I'd expect quite some dependency on the cell size and
some correction might be necessary.

Your findings indicate that Slater's transition state method is much better.

On the other hand: If you really want to do only organic molecules (but
many of them), any non-periodic molecular code (eg. NWChem, which is
free) will be MUCH cheaper and faster.

Your last question, comparison to bulk materials, you have to find out
yourself.
I would not expect perfect agreement with experiment in all cases,
simply because of the problem having a common Energy-zero (we use EF for
this, but EF is well defined only in metals, but the VBM of an insulator
or the HOMO of a molecule is not the same "Fermi energy".

Suppose you put a molecule far away from a metal surface, the DFT
simulation will give you a common EF (which is most likely not where the
HOMO of the molecule is). Thus   (E-1s - EF) will be different if you do
a combined system or the molecule alone, even when the molecule is so
far away that it behaves as a free molecule.