[Wien] core-hole calculation in a molecule

Pavel Ondračka pavel.ondracka at email.cz
Fri Jun 28 10:29:26 CEST 2019

So just some brief follow up, in case someone finds this interesting.

First of all I've made a mistake in my previous calculations, there
actually is some dependence on the supercell size for the Slater's
transition state approach. However the difference in binding energies
is only ~0.05-0.1eV when going from 5Å vacuum to 10Å vacuum and changes
less than ~0.01eV when going further to 15Å...

I've tried the Δ-SCF approach as well and this is much worse. The
difference in binding energies is ~0.3-0.4eV when going from 5Å vacuum
to 10Å vacuum and changes by another ~0.2eV when going further to
15Å...

The absolute energy values are better for the Δ-SCF approach (by approx
0.5eV), but since we are about 5eV from the absolute experimental
values anyway, this is likely meaningless. For example taking LDA
instead of PBE can change the absolute values by > 2eV.

What is important, the relative shifts between different carbon atoms
(with respect to experimental data) are also better for the Slater's
transition state than for the Δ-SCF approach (with Slater's transition
state I can get around 10% difference from experiment, while for Δ-SCF
it is more like 20%).

In general I'm very happy with the calculations now, except for the
speed ;-)

Best regards
Pavel