[Wien] How to find the valency of an element from case.scf file?

Stefaan Cottenier Stefaan.Cottenier at UGent.be
Sun Mar 24 14:47:40 CET 2019

In addition to what Laurence wrote: I found this review helpful

https://doi.org/10.1038/s41563-018-0165-7

Stefaan

From: Wien <wien-bounces at zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at> On Behalf Of Laurence Marks
Sent: Sunday, March 24, 2019 2:32 PM
To: A Mailing list for WIEN2k users <wien at zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at>
Subject: Re: [Wien] How to find the valency of an element from case.scf file?

No, the valency of Yb is not 2.28 and B is not 1.37

Chemical "Valence" stems back to the original work of Pauling, and in a modern interpretation is very close to the Bond Valence Sum which are given by "x nn". It depends upon local co-ordination.

Experimental "valence" measurements such as EELS, XPS have been cross-correlated against the chemical valence.

Plane wave or (L)APW DFT calculations do not give this, except in the bond distances if they are minimized and sometimes in the band occupancies. Pure orbital approaches do.

A different approach is the Bader charge, which connects to the ionicity and sometimes the valence.

The charge within the RMT is related to the valence, but is not the same and is rarely that useful.

(And one has Born effective charges, and others...)