[Wien] fold2Bloch Question - Missing data points

Oleg Rubel rubelo at mcmaster.ca
Thu Mar 28 02:43:31 CET 2019

Hello Tristan,

I see your difficulty. The generation of the k-path for unfolding is a
bit tricky. For instance, if you want to see [(0,0,0) -> (1/2, 0, 0)]
section after unfolding, your *.klist file should include points [(-1/2,
0, 0) -> (1/2, 0, 0)] to generate *.vector file. It sounds
counter-intuitive from a regular band structure plot point of view.
However it helps to think of the primitive Brillouin zone a set of small
'tiles'. Each tile is a supercell BZ. When the k list is limited to
[(0,0,0) -> (1/2, 0, 0)] points, only half of the tile is meshed. When
tiles are put together to form the primitive BZ, you will see 'gaps' in
the mesh in place of the missing part [(-1/2, 0, 0) -> (0,0,0)].

Please check this tutorial
https://github.com/rubel75/fold2Bloch-Wien2k/wiki/Tutorial-1:-Lattice-of-Hydrogen-atoms

When path gets complicated, generation of the *.klist file becomes not
straightforward. There is a Matlab script to assist with generating the
k path for unfolding
https://github.com/rubel75/fold2Bloch-VASP/blob/master/utils/fold.m
It generates the list of k points in VASP format because it is simple,
but you can get the idea and edit *.klist file accordingly.

I hope it is not very confusing.

Best regards
Oleg

--