[Wien] DyFe3

Gavin Abo gsabo at crimson.ua.edu
Fri Mar 29 04:03:12 CET 2019

Care must be taken with R spacegroups since WIEN2k needs mixed lattice
parameters and atomic positions for them (hexagonal/rhombohedral) [
https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg05554.html
].

The cif files are not always specified with values having enough
precision.  WIEN2k needs values specified to meet its full precision (it
can be particularly important with R or H lattices when there are
positions having values like 1/3 and 2/3) [
https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg10198.html
,
https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg07109.html
,
https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg14955.html
].

The cif2struct is not able to handle the format of some cif files [
https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg07062.html
,
https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg10478.html
,
https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg10836.html
].  So, it could be said that cif2struct works well most of the time,
but I wouldn't fully trust it in all cases.  In other words, I recommend
checking the conversion by hand or with the help of another tool like
SETSTRU [http://www.cryst.ehu.es/cryst/setstru.html].

The difference looks like it might come from one of the Fe atomic
positions. DyFe3.struct seems to be the better one to use as it has the
R lattice with 166 R-3m spacegroup.

DyFe3.cif atomic positions:

Dy1 0 0 0.1414
Dy2  0 0 0
Fe1 0.5002 0.4998 0.0829
Fe2  0 0 0.3336
Fe3 0 0 0.5

DyFe3_mp-1101819_symmetrized.cif atomic positions:

Dy1  0  0  0.141689
Dy2  0  0  0
Fe1 0.001445  0.500723  0.081292
Fe2  0  0 0.667138
Fe3  0 0 0.5

DyFe3.struct lattice, space group, and atomic positions:

R   LATTICE, 166 R-3m

Dy1 0.1414 0.1414 0.1414
Dy2 0 0 0
Fe1 0.0825 0.5831 0.5831
Fe2 0.3336 0.3336 0.3336
Fe3 0.5 0.5 0.5

DyFe3_mp-1101819_symmetrized.struct lattice and atomic positions:

H   LATTICE