[Wien] Layer and orbital resolved MAE contribution

Vojtech Chlan chlan at mbox.troja.mff.cuni.cz
Thu May 2 12:36:11 CEST 2019

Hi,

in order to determine contribution of individual atoms or groups of
atoms to MAE, you can try switching off the spin-orbit interaction for
some atoms (using the last line in the case.inso file).
In particular, one can switch off all but one atom and thus obtain the
single-ion contribution to MAE of such individual atom. However, this
can be a bit confusing, because summing up all the single-ion
contributions one by one will not give the same MAE as in the standard
case when one has s-o on all atoms. This is due to neglecting of the
contribution of pseudodipolar (or higher ranks) interactions to MAE. But
it can be overcome by combining the results of such a
single-ion-calculation (spinorbit on n-th atom only, others off) and an
inverse scenario (s-o switched off for n-th atom, the other atoms with
s-o). The individual atom then contributes to MAE by half of the sum of
energies of these two calculations... (Works for pseudodipolar; for
pseudoquadrupolar etc I guess this might get a bit more complicated.)

To separate contributions of states with different orbital number, you
might try specifying some energy window (emin/emax) in the case.inso
file to calculate s-o eigenvalues for some band(s) only, but I never
tried that and don't know whether it works that way.

Best wishes,
Vojtech