[Wien] Structural phase transition

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Wed May 29 14:25:37 CEST 2019

Finite temperature requires the entropy. So you would not compare
enthalpies, but free energies.
The main contribution to the entropy comes from the phonons. Thus you
must calculate the phonons and from the corresponding phonon-DOS you can
get the "-TS" contribution to the free energy.

Phonons can be calculated with WIEN2k and the help of programs like
PHONOPY or PHONON (see unsupported software at www.wien2k.at) and one
would do what is called the "quasiharmonic" approximation (i.e.
calculate the phonons at various volumes).
This is straight forward and has been done many times in Literature.

However, this approach fails eventually, since in the harmonic
approximation some phonons might be instable, giving imaginary frequencies.

In that case, anharmonic terms are needed and several different schemes
are discussed in Literature without consensus about the best method. In
any case, all these calculations become very expensive.