[Wien] How to do a spin polarized calculation from a non spin spolarized calculation ?

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Nov 18 21:15:35 CET 2019

I don't know from where you have this recipe, but it does not work. From
a non-spinpolarized calc. you cannot go to a spin-polarized solution.

For difficult spin-polarized calculations you may need more than the 40
default iterations. Continue and specify more iterations (-i 80 or more).

Sometimes, if the mixer really gets confused, it might be necessary to
trick it. If the solutions oscillate, do 1-2 PRATT cycles (rm *.broy*)
or try MSEC3 instead of MSR1.

Most of the time, a better k-mesh (more points) and/or Temperature
broadening (TEMP/S with max 0.010) may help. But don't forget at the end
to reduce the broadening again (0.002 ~ Room temperature)

If you want to "help" mixer to reach convergence in a really difficult
situation (and come out of a unclear situation) you could use the FSM
method.  Suppose you do a supercell of 200 Fe atoms (this would probably
be a "difficult" system), you can estimate the total spin as 200*2.2 and
do a    runfsm -m 440.