[Wien] Intel MPI, memory leaks and incompatibility

Laurence Marks laurence.marks at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 00:29:25 CEST 2019

For general information. I confirmed a little while ago that the Intel 2019
Update 5 mpi library solves a memory leak issue somewhere in Wien2k.

One caveat. The library is free, and will install on older machines which
do not have Real Time Clock (RTC) instructions. However, it does not work
on them, and will crash in mpi_init.

Based upon
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/32357513/detect-if-processor-has-rdtscp-at-compile-time
(you
have to scroll down for the simple way), a grep of /cpuinfo for rdt
probably works, at least it did for me.

Yes, it would have been nice if the mpi library did not install on
computers it was incompatible with.... saved me significant time.

--
Professor Laurence Marks
Northwestern University