[Wien] Error while treating Sm 4f states as core

Laurence Marks laurence.marks at gmail.com
Sun Oct 20 22:14:28 CEST 2019

Dear Anup,

Getting DFT to come close is going to be a challenge. You may find DOI:
10.1103/PhysRevMaterials.2.025001 useful. Some general comments:

1) In my experience +U is too harsh for 4f electrons. In your case 6eV is
not that far below E_F and may well be in the same energy range as states
for other elements (e.g. O). +U will force the occupied 4f low, the
unoccupied high and this may not be appropriate.

2) The width of the valence region will be too small, because you are not
including core hole effects.

3) The tabulated cross-sections for 4f  (e.g. NIST) are horribly bad --
this is know experimentally but I do not know of any better calculations.

4) There is the problem of Spin-Orbit. One also has to worry about whether
the correct parity of states is in the DFT, it is easy to get the wrong
ones at least in the rare earth scandates.

--
Professor Laurence Marks
Northwestern University