[Wien] Spin-polarization and spin-orbit coupling

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Sep 24 15:16:36 CEST 2019

Answers inlined.

> I have three questions concerning the inclusion of spin in a material in
> WIEN2k.
>
> The three questions concern the two terms where a spin-dependent term
> appears in the Pauli Hamiltonian for magnetic systems, which are:
>
> Question 1)
> In the Pauli Hamiltonian a term appears which is a dot product of the
> spin-matrices of the system and an effective magnetic field.
>
> The effective magnetic field is a summation of an external magnetic
> field and an exchange-correlation term. The exchange-correlation term
> B_xc, is expressed as a derivative of the density w.r.t. the
> magnetization (in the LDA framework) and that B_xc is parallel to the
> magnetization density vector. If I understand correctly then the
> material of interest is magnetic when B_xc is nonzero.
>
> When doing a spin-polarized calculation, what happens then to the
> external magnetic field term? Is the external magnetic field term set to
> zero?

Usually, we do not apply an additional external field, but there is only
an internal field (B_xc); i.e. the material is ferro-, ferri-,or
antiferro-magnetic without an external field.

In special cases you want to look on the response of a material to an
external field. This can be done using the FSM method for ferromagnets
or applying an external field using the "orb" package.

> Question 2)
> The other term in the Pauli Hamiltonian is the spin-orbit coupling (SOC)
> term, which is proportional to (1/r x dV/dr ) (dV/dr = the derivative of
> the potential w.r.t. the radial coordinate).
>
> When doing a calculation including SOC the script init_so asks for the
> magnetization direction (in hkl).
>
> In a non-spin polarized calculation with SOC the magnetization direction
> has no meaning, is this correct?

Yes (at least for global/averaged quantities).

> Question 3)
>
> If the system of interest is a magnetic system then a spin-polarized
> calculation with SOC should give me 1) the strength of the magnetization
> along the chosen magnetization axis, and 2) the spin-up and spin-down
> density of states (DOS) along the chosen axis. But a spin-polarized
> calculation without SOC will not give me the spin-up and spin-down DOS.
> Is this correct?

No. Any spin-polarized calculation gives you a spin-up/dn DOS and you
can also get the energy gain due to magnetization with respect to a
non-spinpolarized calculation. However, without SO you do not get any
information about the direction of the moment with respect to the
lattice; i.e. "up" does NOT mean "001"-direction, and of course also no
magnetic anisotropy (energy change when the magnetization direction
changes, easy - hard axis). In addition, without SO you can get only
spin-moments (dominating in 3d compounds), but for the orbital moments
you need SO.