[Wien] Wien post from pascal.boulet at univ-amu.fr (Errors with DGEMM and hybrid calculations)

Tran, Fabien fabien.tran at tuwien.ac.at
Sat Aug 15 11:40:13 CEST 2020

Hi,

For calculations on small cells with many k-points it is more preferable (for speediness) to use k-point paralllelization instead of MPI parallelization. And, as mentioned by PB, MPI applied to small matrices may not work.

Of course, if the number of cores that you have at disposal is larger (twice for instance) than the number of k-points in the IBZ, then you can combine the k-point and MPI parallelizations (two cores for each k-point).

An example of .machines file for k-point parallelization is (supposing that you have 6 k-points in the IBZ and want to use one machine having 6 cores):

lapw0: n1071 n1071 n1071 n1071 n1071 n1071
dstart: n1071 n1071 n1071 n1071 n1071 n1071
nlvdw: n1071 n1071 n1071 n1071 n1071 n1071
1:1071
1:1071
1:1071
1:1071
1:1071
1:1071
granularity:1
extrafine:1

The six lines "1:1071" mean that lapw1, lapw2 and hf are k-point (no MPI) parallelized (one line fore each core). lapw0, dstart and nlvdw are MPI parallelized. In this example, the omp parallelization is ignored by supposing that OMP_NUM_THREADS is set to 1.

Besides, I find your computational time with HF as very large. What is the number of atoms in the cell, the number of k-points (plz, specify th n1xn2nx3 k-mesh), RKmax, etc.?

Best,
FT​