[Wien] inversion vs time reversal

姜若诗 ruoshijiang at sjtu.edu.cn
Fri Feb 7 06:55:29 CET 2020

Dear professor,

Thanks for your reply, which helps me a lot.

But I still feel a little confused about the time reversal symmetry in wien2k, From your answer, I know when the system has not the inversion symmetry but has time reversal symmetry, the symmetry can also produce the (-1, -1, -1) diagonal matrix to reduce the number of k points which need to calculate in the BZ.

However, for example, the case : GaAs, the system is complex, which I can understand, caused by the absence of inversion symmetry. but the system don’t  have the (-1, -1, -1) diagonal matrix,  Is this mean GaAs also without the time reversal symmetry?

Is the (-1 -1 -1) diagonal both shows if the system has the inversion symmetry or the time reversal symmetry?  But the (-1 -1 -1) diagonal matrix absent cause the system has not only inversion symmetry, but also the time reversal symmetry?

By the way, why the system is complex when the system without the inversion symmetry? As I know ,the result of inversion symmetry is : <r| -k, j> = <-r | k, j> , Only the time reversal symmetry has some relationship with the complex conjugate:  <r|- k, j> = <r |k, j >*.  Do you have some relevant references of this ?

Looking forward to your reply.

Sincerely,
Jasmine.