[Wien] Large band gap in LDA+U

Ali Baghizhadeh ali.baghizhadeh at ua.pt
Thu Feb 20 16:25:18 CET 2020

Dear Wien2k users
I am trying to calculate band gap of h-(Lu,Sc)FeO3 oxide using WieN2k 19, with PBE potential. To do so, I used spin polarized AFM calculation by breaking symmetry of lattice to have opposite spin directions for Fe. Then after convergence of scf, I did optimize atomic positions. In PDOS plot, it shows metallic behavior, while experimentally, I expect something like 1.6 eV band gap. Then I used LDA+U, from 1 ev to 6 ev, the PDOS shows band gap of 3.2 eV no matter which U chooses for spin up Fe, and again metallic phase for spin down Fe. I do not know how to resolve my problem, and what parameters or steps might be wrong and I have to check? Any comment will be really appreciated.

Sincerely
Ali Baghi zadeh