[Wien] density matrix is not positive

Laurence Marks laurence.marks at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 13:06:07 CET 2020

I am not surprised that you see warnings [1]. The calculations with default
parameters start for neutral atoms, and have to evolve towards (in your
case) ions. This takes many more than 20 iterations in some cases. It may
take even longer if your case is antiferromagnetic, as you have (I believe)
created a ferromagnetic starting point. When the scf has converged I would
worry about a non positive definite density matrix.

Having 4f electrons at the Fermi energy etc when you are far from converged
is not surprising. Only the converged values have meaning. I would
personally reduce the Nd RMT as you probably have O 2p states leaking in.

[1] A non positive density matrix is not physically correct, but can happen
during the mixing; there is nothing in the mathematics that forbids it.
(There is an unrelated option to constrain this, but it is probably not
needed.)

_____
Professor Laurence Marks
else has thought", Albert Szent-Gyorgi