[Wien] AFM type II

pieper pieper at ifp.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Jan 27 12:08:49 CET 2020

I guess you are talking about the conventional classification of AFM
ordering used in neutron diffraction. Consider AFM as a standing wave of
spin orientations. Different Types of AFM are then distinguished by the
wave vector of the standing wave in the crystal lattice.

AFM-I is the AFM order with the shortest possible wavelength, that is
moments on nearest neighbor planes are antiparallel. In an fcc structure
the nearest neighbors of an atom at (0,0,0) are on the two planes
'above' and 'below' along the space diagonal of the cube at positions
(1/2,1/2,0) and so on. The wave vector of the standing wave describing
spin orientation is perpendicular to these planes of parallel spins. The
length of the wave vector q in reciprocal space is such that going the
distance d to the next plane with parallel moments (half the space
diagonal) in that direction result in an identical situation in the wave
function cos(qx), that is q*d=2*pi.

For AFM-II moments on planes with next nearest neighbors are
antiparallel. And so on. The longer the wavelength of the standing wave
(or the shorter q in reciprocal space) the more unit cells in the
crystal lattice you will need to represent the AFM structure (depending
on the distance between lattice planes in your structure without AFM
order).

Good luck with figuring out the directions and lengths of wave vectors
in your structure yourself,

Martin Pieper

---
Dr. Martin Pieper