[Wien] AFM type II

Fecher, Gerhard fecher at uni-mainz.de
Wed Jan 29 13:16:37 CET 2020

Dear Martin,
this concerns your remark:
"With two magnetic species, say, Mn and Cu, you would wind up with
different size of the moment on Mn and Cu. I know of no case where exact
compensation into an AFM structure occures by accident in such a
situation."

You may have the situation of a completely compensated ferrimagnet exampels are:
CrMnSb (or VFeSb) in the cubic C1b structure
H. van Leuken and R. A. de Groot, Phys. Rev. Lett. 74, 1171 (1995)
or more complicated
Mn1.5FeV0.5Al
Rolf Stinshoff et al; Phys. Rev. B 95, 060410(R) (2017)

However, it is by purpose rather than by accident.

This was already found by Neel in his work on antiferromagnets (probably it is mentioned in the Nobel lecture)

Ciao
Gerhard

Dr. Gerhard H. Fecher
Johannes Gutenberg - University