[Wien] Superposition of charged atoms

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Jul 21 18:04:13 CEST 2020

Negative ions are not stable in DFT.

However, you can stibilize them using a Watson sphere, i.e. a positively
charged sphere of a certain radius.

For O2- a decent R is mentioned in the UG. For other ions you would have
to optimize it. Eg. you can calculate the difference density and search
for the R-W which gives the lowest difference with respect to an ionic
solid.