[Wien] Mailing List

Gavin Abo gsabo at crimson.ua.edu
Sat Jul 25 07:37:56 CEST 2020

If your case.struct file has one Mn atom corresponding to one
inequivalent atomic position that has multiple equivalent atomic
positions where you want to split the equivalent atomic positions into
inequivalent ones, then you need to use the "set at least for one
atom-name a special label" at [1].

There are different approaches that should work to split atoms: 1) Use
WIEN2k's StructGen, select appropriate general lattice and use split, 2)
Use WIEN2k's "x supercell", 3) Use WIEN2k's structeditor, or 4) Use
another crystal maker program compatible with WIEN2k (e.g. Crystal Maker
imports WIEN2k struct files and outputs cif according to their webpage
at [2], and WIEN2k's cif2struct can likely be used to convert back to a
struct file).

Some examples that might help are at [3-5].

If you are displacing Mn atomic position(s) such as to model a crystal
defect [6], then most likely you need to do the special labels above
first before doing that.  For the space group that you have for your
supercell [7], the Mn atom you displace would need to have a free atomic
position and not a fixed one if you are doing atomic position
optimization [8,9].  Bilbao Crystallographic Server has tools such as
Wyckoff Positions [10] that might help you determine in your atomic
positions are free or fixed.

Displacing one Mn atom is not likely to give a realistic model for an
experimental sample that probably would have a lot of dislocated Mn
atoms.  Bigger supercells would be needed for calculations (e.g., refer
to [11]).

[1] http://susi.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/reg_user/faq/supercells.html
[2] http://crystalmaker.com/crystalmaker/index.html
[3] http://zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/pipermail/wien/2009-April/012454.html
[4] http://susi.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/reg_user/faq/afm.html
[5] Exercise 4:  Creation of supercells (slide 11)
http://susi.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/events/ws2017/notes/tutorial-Basic-exercises.pdf
[6]
https://www.substech.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=imperfections_of_crystal_structure
[7]