[Wien] Structure relaxation for WO3 with atomic insertion

Israel Omar Perez Lopez israel.perez at uacj.mx
Sun Jun 14 23:23:28 CEST 2020

Dear Prof. Marks

Thanks for your reply. My intention is to find out the optimized positions and lattice parameters after Li insertion in those three structures. As I understand, to obtain this I have to do both force minimization and volume optimization, simultaneously, am I right? Or should I do minimization first and then volume optmization after? or viceversa? I would like to know the steps I have to follow to obtained this information.

I have already checked the mailinglist, the UG, the internet, and the old notes you mention. I am trying to work systematically, my email is after trying in many ways. I have worked minimization alone (both PORT and MSR1a) and it converges for hexagonal and monoclinic but not for cubic due to the error I mentioned. Optimization alone applied for monoclinic and hexagonal does not reach a minimum with Li insertion.

I will try to answer your points.

1) in your cubic case all internal parameters are fixed by symmetry, hence you cannot optimize them.

I already carried out optimization alone and a minimum is reached without Li and with Li. The problem is when I run force minimization to find the atomic positions, this error show up: Force-convergence not possible. Forces not present

2) What version are you using? Nowadays MSR1a has mainly replace min (PORT).

I'm using Wien2k 19.1. So again, my question is if I run minimization first and then volume optimization. I have run both PORT and MSR1 alone and force convergence is achieved. But should I used these new positions to find the lattice parameters?

3) Did you check (look) at all the structures first, and the BVS? You may save yourself a lot of time and avoid simple errors.

Yes, I have checked the structure files.

4) To make comparisons, you will need to use identical parameters (RMT etc).

The spacing available for Li insertion for cubic, hexagonal and monoclinic is not the same. If I used the same RMT in all three cases, during optimization an error related to sphere overlapping shows up as the lattice parameters change for each structure (say 8%, 4%, 0%, -4% and -8%).

I suggest that you do the simple cubic case first and optimize the volume.
I have already done volume optimization for cubic. For both cases (Li and no Li) a minimum was reached. Here no problem, but what about atomic positions when Li is inserted? I got the error:
Force-convergence not possible. Forces not present

Please advice the right procedure to get lattice parameters and atomic positions.

Regards

Dr. Israel P?rez

Institute of Engineering and Technology
Department of Physics and Mathematics,
Universidad Aut?noma de Ciudad Ju?rez
Av. del Charro 450 Nte., Col. Partido Romero,
Ciudad Ju?rez, Juarez Chihuahua. Mexico C. P. 32310
Tel: +52 (656) 688 4887

National Council of Science and Technology
Insurgentes Sur No. 1582,
Col. Cr?dito Constructor,  C.P. 03940
Del. Benito Ju?rez, M?xico D. F.
1) in your cubic case all internal parameters are fixed by symmetry, hence you cannot optimize them.
2) What version are you using? Nowadays MSR1a has mainly replace min (PORT).
3) Did you check (look) at all the structures first, and the BVS? You may save yourself a lot of time and avoid simple errors.
4) To make comparisons, you will need to use identical parameters (RMT etc).

I suggest that you do the simple cubic case first and optimize the volume. Check it is sane with reasonable BVS etc. This will give you a good idea what RMTs to use for the other cases (you may need to iterate). Work it through, being systematic and understanding each step (not just read very old notes).

_____
Professor Laurence Marks
"Research is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what nobody else has thought", Albert Szent-Gyorgi
www.numis.northwestern.edu<http://www.numis.northwestern.edu>