[Wien] Query regarding structure optimization

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Sun Jun 21 09:20:45 CEST 2020

YES ! Force optimization is MUCH more important than anything else.
Lattice parameters are usually well known from experiment (and more
accurate than DFT), but atomic positions are often NOT well known
experimentally.

Exception: Some structures like NaCl have "fixed positions by symmetry".
So you have to find out yourself, if you have forces.

How to do:   Simply edit optimize.job and activate the -min switch in
the run_lapw line.

ad 2): If your minimum is close enough to one of your relaxed structures: no
However, whenever you change a,b or c, do a force optimization.