[Wien] Regarding the electronic properties of band gap of super cell

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Mar 11 12:02:18 CET 2020

The results will of course depend on the way you arranged the 2
impurities in the 2x2x2 cell.

Did you arrange them in the same way as they would be arranged in a
doubled 1x2x2 supercell ??? (use supercell 2x1x1 starting from 1x2x2 and
compare the resulting arrangement of your impurities).

This is the common mistake related to i) small supercells or ii) larger
concentrations:

You are not simulating a disordered alloy with 6.5% impurities, but an
ordered "compound" with a specific structure (which is never observable
in experiment.

One needs to use larger supercells and either a "quasi-random structure"
or at least test a couple of arrangments of your impurities (more
nearest-neigbors or far away, ...)