[Wien] Questions about the difference charge density in the Ti core

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Sat May 2 09:48:32 CEST 2020

Hi,

Please read the rest of the article. There is NO indication of a Ti4+,
because this is not a very ionic compound. What is evident, is a strong
anisotropy of the occupied 3d electrons, both on Co and Ti.

What you seem to call "core" region, comes from the 3d electrons, whose
maximum is really quite localized.

Remember, this is a "chemical valence" (in a purely ionic picture), a
"formal" quantitiy.

In addition: If Ti is 4+, where would these electrons go ? Sb is in
group V, so can at most take 3 electrons, thus in your ionic picture you
get:  Ti4+ Co-1 Sb-3 .   This can't be correct and while it is
impossible to give quantitative numbers of a charge transfer, there is
some indication (Table II) that Co takes some electrons from Ti (the Co
3d states are lower in energy than Ti3d/4s), while Sb is slightly
negative (Bader) or even positive (QTL). As is evident from the
difference density, there is a huge region of nearly zero
difference-density. These interstitial charge, however, cannot be easily
and uniquely attributed to specific atoms and can stem from all
delocalized wave functions (Ti-4s, Co-4s, Sb-5p - see Table I abould
"localized 3d" and delocalized sp electrons).