[Wien] Aligning magnetization direction along high symmetry crystallographic direction

Xavier Rocquefelte xavier.rocquefelte at univ-rennes1.fr
Wed May 20 08:21:20 CEST 2020

And another comment. Applying the magnetization along a high symmetry
direction does not mean that you will apply SOC in the direction for
which the effect will be maximum... It is why, people study the
magnetocrystalline anisotropy energy (MAE).

Best regards

Xavier

Le 20/05/2020 à 08:07, Peter Blaha a écrit :
> I think nobody really understands your question.
>
> Obviously for a hexagonal system the c-axis is a very high symmetry
> direction. This corresponds to  0 0 1
>
> Of course, the a (or b) direction is also a special direction, but it
> will break hexagonal symmetry as the a and b directions will no longer
> be equivalent. So when you choose 1 0 0, in many cases the symmetry
> will be automatically reduced by symmetso.
>

> Am 20.05.2020 um 05:30 schrieb Nileema Sharma:
>> Dear WIEN2k users and developers!!
>> I am working on a hexagonal system, I would like to know in which
>> direction(s) should I apply SOC so that it would represent high
>> symmetry crystallographic direction, for the calculation of the
>> energy in that particular direction?
>> Best regards.
>> Thank you!!
>> Nileema Sharma

Institut des Sciences Chimiques de Rennes (ISCR)
Univ Rennes - CNRS - UMR6226, France
https://iscr.univ-rennes1.fr/cti/people/permanent-staff/rocquefelte-xavier